New England Patriots — via Patriots Gab
– Tom Brady’s go-to tight end Rob Gronkowski returned to practice this week after missing all of training camp and the preseason. Morgan Smith breaks down what that means here.
– Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson is talking trash in advance of Sunday’s divisional showdown with New England.
New York Jets — via Jets Gab
– Geno Smith will start at quarterback on Sunday in the season opener, writes Andy Green.
– New York recently signed former first-round pick Brady Quinn to backup Smith at quarterback.
Buffalo Bills — Bills Gab
– It looks like the Bills won’t have to rely on undrafted rookie quarterback Jeff Tuel, after all. The 16th overall pick in April’s draft — EJ Manual — will get the start, according to reports.
What you may have missed at Dolphins Gab
– I break down why I believe Sunday is a must-win for the Dolphins.
– Has the Dolphins’ secondary improved enough with some of the league’s top quarterbacks on the slate?
AFC East Power Rankings
1. New England Patriots — Tom Brady will still make it look easy with receivers most fans have never heard of.
2. Miami Dolphins — If the Patriots do slip this season, the Dolphins — on paper, at least — appear to be the most likely suitor to take over the reigns in the division. But there is so much this team must prove.
3. Buffalo Bills — The Bills have more talent than many give them credit for. Playing Buffalo twice isn’t the guaranteed sweep some Dolphins fans think it is.
4. New York Jets — The Jets are a mess on offense, but I’ll stop short of calling them the worst team in football. The defense is capable of keeping games competitive.
Week 1 Picks (Dolphins pick to be revealed later in week):
New England 27, Buffalo 17
Tampa Bay 16, New York Jets 13