After losing Jake Long in free agency, the Dolphins Wednesday picked up a player to help try and shore up the line again.
The team came to terms with former Bears offensive guard Lance Louis on a one-year contract according to according to Andy Kent of dolphins.com.
The 27-year-old Louis was a seventh-round draft pick of the Bears in 2009 and has been a starter for the last two seasons. The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Louis has played both guard and tackle over his career and started 28 of 41 games for Chicago between 2009 and 2012.
Last season was going very well for Louis in Chicago until he suffered a devastating knee injury against the Minnesota Vikings in late November.
It happened on a turnover after Minnesota’s Antoine Winfield picked off a pass from Jay Cutler and Louis was chasing him down when Vikings defensive end Jared Allen left his feet and delivered a blindside block just as Louis planted his left foot. He landed on Injured Reserve and had surgery to repair a torn ACL in his knee.
“The knee is good. I’m still working and rehabbing real hard and it’s feeling real good right now,” said Louis, who said he is comfortable at either guard or tackle.
“The last time I went to the doctor he told me I was ahead of schedule and to just keep working hard and I’ll be fine. My goal is whenever I’m feeling good I’ll be there, but I definitely want to be there for training camp and get in there and start competing with those guys, sweating and learning the offense.
“I feel like I still have room for improvement. Last year I just felt comfortable with where I was at and I just felt like I was just getting better week after week. I’m still open to learning different techniques to help my game out.”